The Banana Open went down a few weeks back in the newly finished Wanda Harbin Snowdome in China. The snowdome is the world’s largest indoor snowsports centre with 80.000 square meters, a 520 m long piste and a height of 120 meters. The Banana Open is an international level snowboard slopestyle event. Featuring local and international riders, the Open, put on by Banana Sports was a huge success.
The invitational event showcased snowboarding to the people of Harbin, China as snowboarding in the country is seeing staggering growth. This is due to China having the fastest growing global economy, the world biggest population (1.3 bil +) and an affinity to snowboarding stemming from developments such as the Wanda Park. It also helps that Beijing, China has landed the 2022 Winter Olympics.
Behind the scenes with the Yibu Snowparks Crew
As part of the international contingent the WKNDRS and Mayhem crews made the trip to Harbin to represent. They were not disappointed. The Wanda Park is claiming the title of the most professional indoor slopestyle course ever completed, anywhere in the world! The park features two scaffolded 40ft tabletops running into a battleship up-flat-down rail with an alternative steep rail line to the side. Check out their invasion of the Far East here.
The amount of effort and ingenuity that went into the build was phenomenal. In charge of the build were the park team from Yibu Snowparks. They’ve done a great job succumbing the challenges of building a park for such a unique event. Here we’ve got you there awesome behind the scenes photo journal of the build and the event as it happened. What went down looked like hard work and fun times.
The Banana Open
and of course The After Party
Huge thanks go out to the Yibu snowparks crew for providing all images for this article.
The Yibu boys wish to thank;
- Banana Sports, for having the audacity to even attempt this in the first place!
- All the Wanda Harbin Snowdome staff who helped us overcome the challenges of this build!
- Sunbay Lounge, for a perfect after party, and being the perfect spot for shredders and shapers to hang out!
- Harry He from Farentec, for the best snowblower ever!
- All the sponsors of this event, your support drives our sport!
- All the riders.. because the best reward is watching you guys shred our course!
- And everyone else who supported this event, and continue to support Yibu Parks.. we love you all!